Monday, September 17, 2012

Hiring Consultants !


CIOs are a lucky bunch, whenever they have a problem of any kind, all types of help is available to them from various sources; IT vendors, system integrators, business school professors, peer CIOs, and finally management or IT consultants big, small, and even individuals, ex-CIOs i.e. retired or in-between jobs. All of them bring different kind of experiences and solutions to the table; some with a genuine interest to help find the best solution, others with a vested interest to sell goods or services.

Recently when I moved to a new industry and assignment, there was a flood of offers to help from the entire gamut of consultants. Can we help you understand your new industry ? Would you like us to do a diagnostic of the current situation ? What about some help with IT strategy ? Can we offer you some interesting research papers on the industry and its challenges ? How are you planning to prioritize the various business pulls and pressures ? Is there an IT governance issue you want to address ? ….

Their insistence, persistence and perseverance created a few moments of shaken confidence ! Did I really need their help to get started ? I asked them for data on similar engagements where they had contributed to the direction and shaped the future for the CIO. My mailbox almost ran out of space ! There were local and global case studies, customer references, engagement frameworks and best practices. I was surprised with some names of good CIOs friends, while others were predictable.

More than a decade ago as a newbie CIO I had gained some benefit from the consultants and IT advisory and research companies; they helped fast track my learning. But these references were amongst the best of CIOs. So I decided to call them to find out why they engaged these consultants; what prompted them to spend, and on what did they invest ? Did they get any insights that eluded them or create a better strategy or help them in their success ? Should I too get some of them on board ?

The answers should not have surprised me but they did; the consultant brought credibility to the plan, documents on current status benchmarked to local and global metrics. The big name consultants were seen as the best options even when they put your words and common sense into fat documents and fancy presentations. Somehow the stamp of authority and approval made the difference to company management with higher acceptance. The CIO had validation of his/her choices and rub-off credibility from such engagements.

Now I am not averse to using consultants or industry experts in areas that need a different level of thinking and problem solving.  To drive company-wide change across different stakeholders can always do with some help ! I have had my share of good and mediocre; authority is not bestowed by the brand or the years, it comes from a deeper understanding of the issues and positive query; whereas the ridiculous ones tested endurance levels not to be recalled again.

In my current context I felt that whatever the consultants wanted to solve is what the company had hired me to do; that was my core competency and what I excelled in. By the time they came to the table I had most of the answers that had been discussed and accepted as the reality and way forward. I tested my hypotheses with a couple of big names; they acknowledged that I was on the right track.

Did I need a validation of my decisions ? I don’t think so and neither did the rest of the business leaders who found the rationale and direction to be credible in its articulation. I believe that the use of consultants is finally a matter of personal choice influenced by the organization culture and the locus standi of the CIO. The past record of success internally or with consultants determines what works better. I think for now I will continue to stay away from them.

3 comments:

  1. Arun, another nice blog - sensitive issue for many but I fully believe in empowering oneself first before considering any outsourcing.
    Great quote i read on twitter the other day..
    CIO asks the CEO, "what if we spend alot of money to up skill staff and they leave?"... the CEO responds "What if we don't and they stay?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Avinash10:16 AM

    It is true and it is usually a CYA exercise a lot of times why some of these consultants are hired for validation. Most of the consultant papers presented are re-usable based on their firm's experience and best practices. If you hire smart folks and willing to pay the price, of which quite a few of them might be from consulting background then I guess you don't need consultants for a long time.

    If things still go wrong, there is always a backup that well these consultants have backed up my decisions or strategies. It is not a blame game but more of a backup as every best practice or case study may not apply to a certain organization due to internal factors. So the question is that: How can an external consultant know more about the internal factors that these papers / practices will work in your organization? They are also re-validating their theories while validating yours.

    ReplyDelete